Natalie Xue Er Hill

Natalie Xue Er Hill
arriving in KY in August 2010

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Forever in Our Arms

Natalie at the Temple of the Six Banyan Trees, Guangzhou
In Baba's arms
Every mother remembers the first time she held her child. I can’t believe that it was a year ago today for me. When Stephen and I woke up that morning in Zhengzhou, getting ready for the moments to come, we felt just as we had expected to feel—excited, restless, nervous. We’d been meeting a guide each morning since we’d arrived in China, but this morning when we met our guide, Rita, in the hotel lobby for the ride over to the registration office, the air was electric. We were already anxious to meet our daughter, and when we pulled into the parking lot, Rita informed us that there was a van from Luoyang there. My heart skipped a beat. Was she already inside?



We walked in, and there was an orphanage worker there with an infant girl about Natalie’s age. But it wasn’t her. We had to wait for a while, and I’m sure it really wasn’t that long, but you know how those things go. Stephen and I sat on a black couch and watched the door for any sign of movement outside. My hands were uncontrollable; I’d never been so fidgety. My nervous bladder got the better of me, and I made a quick dash to the “squatty potty” (with strict instructions from Stephen that I’d better hurry!). I didn’t want anything to spoil our first moments with our long-awaited little girl.

A van pulled up, not even pulling into a parking spot, and several nannies from the orphanage in Luoyang got out carrying children. Then we caught our first glimpse of her, in real life, and not just in the same two referral pictures we’d been obsessing over during the past two months. Of course I wanted to hold her immediately, but Natalie was a bit hesitant to leave the nanny’s arms for those of this strange-looking white girl. The biggest surprise: during our years of waiting, I’d watch other families’ videos of when they first met their children in China, think about our own upcoming first meeting, and cry rivers. But when it finally happened for us—not a single tear. Natalie didn’t cry either; maybe I took my lead from her. She seemed so stoic, although I’m sure she was terrified. For me, I suppose it just felt . . . right. There was no room for tears in this moment. Everything had finally fallen into place and we three had found each other. But oh, holding her the first time . . . the emptiness in my heart had finally been filled.

That first night, as I held her and attempted to sing her a lullaby in the darkness of the hotel room, the tears came. Some may recognize the words and understand why: “They didn’t have you where I come from; never knew the best was yet to come; life began when I saw your face. . . .”

Indeed it did; our lives changed so dramatically for the better. Natalie Xue Er has brought an immeasurable amount of joy to our lives and to everyone she meets. I cannot fathom life without her. Sure, there are days when she drives me crazy, when we need to be somewhere else and she runs away,  giggles trailing behind her, when I need to (a) help her dry her hands, (b) fix her hair, or  (c) outfit her with a diaper (my personal favorite!). But then I remember other parents saying that there is no love like that you have for your child. I used to wonder what that would feel like. Now I know, and it’s indescribable how all-encompassing it is.

Natalie, our sweet girl, we’re so fortunate to have the honor of being your parents. Happy Forever Family Day.

13 comments:

  1. Very sweet Amy, thanks for posting! LOVE the first pic of Natalie! Love to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Gotcha day:
    Amy and Stephen you are so very blessed to have been chosen to be this wonderful little girls parents.
    She is so awesome I have never stopped being amazed at her personality (strong I might add) and the way she has loved you both from the beginning. I always thought it would take a period of time for this to happen but it was immediate for you all and when I look at the pics. of James with Anni and Ric on his day I see him looking at them and reaching out to Ric. When I first saw him I thought ok this is going to take time. That did not happen the first visit was over before I could turn around and I wanted to hold him forever and the same with Natalie.
    You pick her up and never want to put her down (however she always has her own idea and it is getting down and running away).
    Amy you have always been quiet but now it is different you glow. Stephen you are the most awesome Dad in the way you openly show your love for that little girl. Not all men can do that.
    I love being around her she continues to amaze me with her remarkable ability to say and do things that seem to be far ahead of her age.
    HAPPY GOTCHA DAY
    I love you all
    Aunt J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't seem like a year. Glad she is with you and doing so well. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, that was beautifully written - it brought tears to my eyes. All of our best to you, Steve, and Natalie!
    Love,
    Sarah & Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special day for you all! Your post was so beautiful and gave me chills! What a precious family you are!

    - Jason and Laura Beth Hayes

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will always share a special connection even if we do not share the same gotcha day. I am looking forward to many special moments together with our girls. Happy Family day to a very special little girl and her family.
    Love, the Saltsman's

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe it has only been a year...it seems like she has been here from the beginning. What an awesome addition to the family she has been and wonderful company for Tyler and Raegan. It has been so neat to see how she has came out of her shell so much and continues to entertain us. I am so proud to be her Aunt Karen!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy & what's his name...
    I think we've enjoyed Natalie almost as much as you two have. She has been such a joy.

    I just hope she grows out of those sticky little fingers she has!

    Uncle Daybin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing that, Amy. It's wondrous to hear your thoughts a year later and recall the moment with you through all that's transpired in that time.

    I hope you all know what the three of you mean to Leslie and me.

    Do we get a one-year party in a couple of weeks to celebrate bringing Natalie home to meet the rest of us?

    j

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, As I read your post, I had those tears that you didn't need that moment you laid eyes on Natalie. I could feel all your emotions with you and, as Gina said, share a bond with you that only a parent who has been 'paper pregnant' and finally had their child placed into their arms, can understand. What a miracle she is! Celebrating and rejoicing with you! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone. We had a great day and hope for so many more to come. When I tell Natalie that I love her, I ask her "for how long?" She says "ever and ever." I LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Stephen, Amy, and Natalie,

    This was so beautifully written.....

    Lots of love from Shanghai,
    M&J&S xoxo

    ReplyDelete