Natalie Xue Er Hill

Natalie Xue Er Hill
arriving in KY in August 2010

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Here is what you have been waiting for...Ramblings from a Tired New Mom


Seven years is a long time to be forced to wait to have a family (and I realize that others wait even longer). I can only believe that Stephen and I went through what we did to lead us to this particular child. Our child. And as our sweet girl lies sleeping in her crib now like a little angel, I know we have been blessed. Just a few short months ago, we had no idea when we would ever hear the good news from China. It’s amazing how quickly your life can change for the better.

I was thinking about the upcoming holidays and how completely different they will be this year. The holiday season has been rather depressing the last seven years, but especially the last couple of years. Seeing Natalie’s face in the glow of the Christmas tree lights is something I’ve dreamed about for so long. I hope she loves the holidays as much as I do.

I knew I would be tired as a new parent, but I thought that just maybe there would be days when I had the same level of energy that I used to. The adjustment to our new life has been challenging in many ways, but we are so happy to make it. I no longer have to set my alarm clock, waking up instead to Natalie chattering to herself in her crib. She’ll hear me stir and then look over at me and smile that smile, and we’re off!

We received her official U.S. citizenship certificate recently. You’ll see us posing with it below. It’s pretty cool and was really moving to read. It took me back to when we went to the U.S. Consulate’s office in Guangzhou on our last afternoon in China. We entered the building and when we got to the escalators, that American flag was such a welcome sight after being away from everything familiar for over two weeks (it wasn’t lost on us that we had experienced just a small taste of what changes and challenges Natalie was to face in the near future). We both got teary-eyed as we took the oath for her. I hope that as she grows up she’ll be at peace with what a different path her life has taken.

So we’re trying to decide what Natalie should be for Halloween. Stephen thought she’d make a great Ewok, but he got overruled. I, of course, voted Munchkin; I’m sure we’ll reach a middle ground.

Enjoy the pictures, and maybe it won’t be so long until I post again.





Natalie with two of her cousins.

Just one of the many faces of Natalie.



12 comments:

  1. I love that little girl, I want to just hold her tight.
    She has an unexplainable personality that just draws you in. Her adjustment has truly been God given.
    Never forget that God knew where she was going from the very beginning. Raise her to know the love God has for all of you.
    Amy the joy in your face is amazing the change is so apparent

    Aunti J

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, that wasn't so hard, was it, Amy?

    What about Jawa for Halloween? They're like the Munchkins of Star Wars...

    ~~j

    ReplyDelete
  3. a jawa is a great idea.

    fyi, the title was Amy's, not mine. i know someone was thinking they were going to try and get me in trouble.

    also, i just love the 1st photo. it cracks me up everytime i see it. it seems that if you asked her what she was doing, she would look up and say "just puttin' in work."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update Amy, Natalie looks so happy, as do both of you! Sleep will get better, at least that is what everyone keeps telling me...

    The first pic is classic, proof that Natalie works harder than her dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Amy nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Amy, you made me teary-eyed reading your post. You have a beautiful heart, and now a beautiful daughter to share it with! Happy 1st Halloween!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, Matt and I are so happy for you, Steve, and Natalie! She's a beautiful little girl and so fortunate that her path led her to two wonderful people like you and Steve. We look forward to the next post!

    Love,
    Sarah and Matt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy,
    It was so nice reading your post and feeling the love you have for Natalie. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I will never forget the glow on your face when you and Stephen came across the drive to tell us that you were getting a little girl. That glow seems even brighter now that you actually have her and even though your lives may seem to change daily, it will be for the better. Thanks for sharing Natalie with us.
    your favorite mom-in-law

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting, Amy. It really is interesting hearing about your new adventures. I can't wait until she starts talking and Raegan has a real chance to corrupt her!

    Your favorite brother in law,
    David (as if I actually had to add that part)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful little girl. You have received such a blessing and I hope the years to come are filled with many more blessings, as I am sure they will be.

    Legacy of an Adopted Child
    Author: ????

    Once there were two women who never knew each other,
    One - you do not remember, the other you call mother.
    Two different lives shaped to make yours,
    One became your guiding star, the other became your sun.
    The first gave you life, and the second taught you to live in it.
    The first gave you a need for love and the second was there to give it.
    One gave you a nationality; the other gave you a name.
    One gave you the seed of talent; the other gave you an aim.
    One gave you emotions; the other calmed your fears.
    One saw your first sweet smile; the other dried your tears.
    One gave you up - that's all she could do.
    The other prayed for a child and God led her straight to you.
    Now you ask through all your tears the age-old question through the years;
    Heredity or environment - which are you a product of?
    Neither, my darling - neither - just two different kinds of love

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was beautifully stated Amy. I'm sure Natalie will be very appreciative as she grows up and sees the love she has been given and that her life is completely different than what she would have endured if two wonderful people had not taken the time to give her that chance!

    I personally think you should dress her as Lady Liberty, because she is the true statement of freedom that America is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you and Steve go as the Spartan Cheerleaders again and dress Natalie up as a pom-pom?

    Sorry for my delayed response, I was out of town. But this is, as I knew it would be, a beautiful essay about the absolute joy that the three of you have found in each other. Thanks for sharing Momma--I've missed you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete